- Last game of the year for both teams. Winner avoids a last-place conference finish. Rogers is a seven-point favorite, per Hootens. But the majority of people in this week’s NWA Media poll will pick Springdale to win. Obviously neither of those will really matter Friday night.
- Should be a high-scoring game. Rogers has the worst pass defense (182.3 yards per game) in the conference. Springdale quarterback Fuller Chandler leads the conference with 2,098 yards. Springdale has the worst run defense … Continue Reading ››
Here’s an early school-by-school breakdown of 7A-West boys teams as season openers get closer.
2013-14 Record: 19-6 Conference: 12-2 (T-1st) State: Semifinals
Returning Starters: 3
Key Returnees G Malik Monk, Jr., 6-3 (22.7 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.2 apg, 70 3-pointers) F Tyler Robinson, Jr., 6-4 (5.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 60.4% FG) F Daniel Head, Sr., 6-3 (2.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 55% FG) F Ben Smith, Sr., 6-9 (4.6 … Continue Reading ››
1. Fort Smith Northside and Fort Smith Southside wasn't viewed as a high-stakes game at the beginning of the year, but is now a huge showdown with a lot on the line. Who you got and why?
Jimmy Carter (Springdale beat writer) — Southside has the best defense in the conference, but Northside’s is also very good and has several playmakers, which doesn’t bode well … Continue Reading ››
The … Continue Reading ››
The … Continue Reading ››
Here’s a by-the-numbers look at the Bulldogs.
2,098 — Passing yards for junior quarterback Fuller Chandler this season after throwing for 120 on Friday. He leads the 7A-West.
1,039 — Receiving yards for senior Salvador Sandoval this season after catching three passes for 19 yards Friday. He leads the 7A-West in yards, catches (62) and touchdowns (8).
605 — Receiving yards for senior Chris Owens this season … Continue Reading ››
For the Blackhawks, the game could be billed as the Road to Redemption. Last season Pea Ridge was 1-9 and had to forfeit two games. The Blackhawks had some key injuries and never seemed to get it going after the loss of an exceptional senior class from the year before, including star RB Dayton Winn.
Shiloh Christian could use the "back where we belong" theme. The Saints dominated Class 4A for three straight years from 2008-10, winning three … Continue Reading ››
Bentonville, Fayetteville, Northside and Southside are tied for 1st with a 5-1 record. All four teams will get a home playoff game – the winners get a 1st round bye and a 2nd round home game while the losers will host a 1st round game.
That sets up a two-game showdown Friday for the top 4 seeds – Fayetteville at Bentonville, Northside at Southside. That will decide seeds 1-4. All four teams can be the 1-2-3-4 seeds depending on the outcomes.
There are only 4 scenarios:
Northside & Bentonville win – Bentonville 1, Northside 2, Fayetteville … Continue Reading ››
Bentonville: Can finish as high as No. 1 seed and earn first-round bye with a win over Fayetteville and a Fort Smith Northside win over Fort Smith Southside. Can finish as low as No. 4 seed with a loss to Fayetteville and a Northside win, but host a first-round playoff game.
Fayetteville: Can finish as high as No. 1 seed and earn first-round bye with a win over Bentonville and a Southside win over Northside. Can finish as … Continue Reading ››
- Charleston quarterback Ty Storey completed 23 of 27 passes (85.2 percent) for 392 yards and five touchdowns in the Tigers' 47-20 win over Booneville. He also rushed for a pair of touchdowns. In the first quarter, he completed 10 of 10 passes for 266 yards and three touchdowns.
- Highland wide receiver/running back Deon Stewart accounted for 226 all-purpose yards on 13 touches in the Rebels' 27-22 win over … Continue Reading ››
The Tigers were due to turn the tables, and Brandon Atchison was more than happy to oblige. The junior linebacker intercepted Rogers Heritage quarterbacks Joel Brackett’s pass attempt and raced 51 yards for a touchdown Friday night, and Bentonville was on its way to a 42-10 victory over the War Eagles in 7A-West Conference action at David Gates Stadium.
“I just saw the receiver coming, and I knew that was my dude,” Atchison said. “I picked him up, and the … Continue Reading ››